Monday, February 12, 2007

Recipe for Disaster...

I know this picture doesn't look like much but truely it is a disaster of immense degree. For nearly 30 years I have kept my recipe cards in this cool box that my husband brought home from work. He found it in the basement of his office and it was old when he brought it home. Not worn out by any means, just old. It was about 10-12 inches long and held 4x6 recipes cards to perfection. It also had this neat little metal plate the moved back and forth on a rod that held the recipes in very tight until you loosened it with a little button. I don't know what it was originally used for but it became my recipe box and I loved it with a love that is beyond love! I knew the box was getting a little worn out (what isn't after being used for 30 years) but I tried to be so, so careful with it because I knew I would never in a million years be able to replace it. Then disaster struck! I was getting the box out of the pantry and I dropped the whole box on the floor. The box broke open on all 4 sides and hundreds of recipes went flying. I just stood there and stared at all my recipes scattered over the floor and wanted to cry. These words actually came out of my mouth...(don't worry this is a G-rated blog) "My box, my poor, poor box"! (I didn't really say that. What I should have said before was that I am trying to keep this a G-rated blog) I carefully picked up the recipes that stayed somewhat intact and put them on the kitchen cupboard and then the very next day I went out to find a recipe box. Have you ever tried to find a recipe box these days. They are few and far between and besides it would take 3-4 to hold the recipes that my box held. I even went to some office supply stores and described what I was looking for...long box...holds 4x6 cards...metal plate on a rod...Nope, not only did they not have one, they looked at me a little weird because they had never even heard of something like that! So I contemplated my options and this is one of the afore mentioned projects that I am spending my spare time on. I am compiling my own cookbook! I bought a huge binder, I am typing the recipes on my computer, printing them on cardstock with embellishments on each page, putting them in clear sheet protecters and putting them in the binder under the appropriate tab. It is going to take me the rest of my natural life to finish this project and I will probably finish shortly before my death and my children will get in a huge fight over who gets the recipe book and end up not speaking to each other. Oh, on second thought, I'm not that great of a cook!

2 comments:

Shelly B. said...

Just tape the cards onto big sheets and stick them into page protectors...a sure-fire way to ensure we don't fight over the book! he he! just kidding-your ideas sounds much cuter!

Ashley said...

When your done with yours can I send you all of mine to do. My recipes are a mess.