Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Monster in the Mirror...


It's late Sunday night and we have had a wonderful but hectic day. My husband serves as a bishop at BYU-Idaho and today was the first Sunday of Summer Semester. I call it "Meet and Greet Sunday". This is the 9th M.&G. Sunday for us since we began serving there about 3 years ago. It is so much fun to meet these young people from all over the country. It is always amazing to me how much you can tell about a person just from shaking their hand, looking them in the eye and asking the same 3 questions...What is your name?...Where are you from?...What is your major? This was done before church started. I am also in charge of the picture directory, so I was able to spend time talking to each one of the students again as they came...during Sunday School...to have their picture taken and then in Relief Society I sat at the front of the room as each girl introduced themselves. We also had several visitors today... students who had been in the ward previously who just wanted to stop by and say hello... so I got a chance to visit with them. Needless to say, I talked to over 100 people today in a 3 hour period. It was great...or so I thought! After all the students had gone home and I was waiting to meet with all the adult leaders, I slipped into the bathroom. While I was washing my hands, I glanced up into the mirror...my morning get-ready-check-list ran through my head.
Shower...check.
Brush teeth...check.
Floss...check.
Get dressed...check.
Fix hair...check.
Put on makeup...
Put on makeup...
Put on makeup...
OH MY HECK...DO YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT I TALKED TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE TODAY AND I DIDN'T HAVE ONE DROP OF MAKEUP ON? NOT ONE DROP? NOT A DROP?
No foundation...check.
No eyeshadow...check.
No mascara...check.
No eyeliner...check.
No...lipstick...blush...not even moisturizer...
check...check...double check!
I AM HORRIFIED! I LOOK LIKE A MONSTER! I'M SCARED JUST LOOKING AT MYSELF!
Later, after the adult meeting, I ask my dear husband if he noticed anything different about me. His reply was, "Well, I thought you looked a little old today!" Tonight he's sleeping on the couch!

8 comments:

Shelly B. said...

oh my! good thing you look good without makeup!

lindsey said...

Oh no! That is crazy! Although, I am the same way...I get ready in a certain order, and I can see how it could happen...to anyone! :)

Michelle said...

You crack me up! With your great personality I'm sure no one noticed. I'm glad to know you are human and that I'm not the only one who has little SENIOR moments.

Samantha said...

Marilyn, Lindsey gave me your blog address and oh how I have missed your humor and happy attitude!! Been lovin reading about your adventures and sweet projects!! Thanks for putting a smile on my face on this dreary Monday in Wyoming!! :)
Sam

Ashley said...

I have thought about this story several times today and everytime i do I just laugh. It is SO funny.

sandy said...

you could never look old. You look good in no make up and no hair do. keep Rod on the couch for awhile longer.

Laura B. said...

This story is the only thing that made me laugh today. I'm still giggling to myself. You're beautiful...with or without makeup!

Ashley said...

At least you didn't forget to get dressed! Too funny! Your ward is so lucky to have you.