Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Babies and Karate....

Just a little peek at one of the many projects I have been working on. I love to sit our living room in my favorite comfy chair...feet on the ottoman...crocheting an edging on an adorable baby blanket.(click for a better view, it works!) AND while I am crocheting said blanket I am dreaming about some adorable little baby wrapped up tight in the same blanket with little duck-down hair...eyes closed...sweet little lips pursed in a dream...smelling just a little bit like heaven. This particular bit of lime-green love is for my friend Julie's daughter, who is having her first baby. Julie's first grand baby! I know it's not pink but I love this fabric so much. It was fabric love at first sight! Where, you might ask, did I get this adorable stuff? Well, it is a story of perseverance and desperation to be sure. A couple of Thanksgivings ago, my daughter Lindsey wanted some baby flannel to make into receiving blankets for her many friends who had the audacity to marry and then have babies before her! We saw this darling flannel at JoAnne's Fabric and a woman at the store told us that on the day after Thanksgiving the same flannel we were loving would be on sale for 97 cents a yard. We couldn't believe it! This fabric was divine(it was nice heavy flannel, not the thin, cheap stuff)! So Lindsey did what any intelligent and sensible woman would do, when the store opened at 6:00a.m. she was waiting in line with 500 other women, to get her hands on some of that stuff...say 4 or 5 yards. Those women hit that store like fleas on a dog and you know how women can be when they find a bargain. Lindsey, on the other hand, had never experienced anything like it! Not to be out numbered or out maneuvered, she wrestled a few bolts from the pile, protected it with a few karate chops and got in a line of about 200 women with 20 bolts of fabric each. She waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. They had 2 women cutting fabric and more customers coming in the door. She had been there a couple of hours when she heard a voice yell, "If you are interested in buying full bolts you can come directly to the back table to check out." That's all it took. Lindsey was at the back table in record time. She didn't even think about how much fabric she was holding in her arms OR what she was going to do with all of it! She just bought it! She was out of that store in no time, the proud owner of 50 yards of flannel. And that my friends, is how I acquired this adorable lime-green love. Oh, and some baby-blue love too! Lots of it!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

That Lindsey is a crack up. I think she still has a lot of that fabric still left. So funny. At least she didn't have to stand in line. Oh and the blanket turned out adorable. Wish that blanket was coming to me!!! ;)

Shelly B. said...

Oh Mom...you tell that story so well! It still cracks me up that she bought 50 yards of fabric that day. Hilarious!

Laura B. said...

I don't know what I loved more...the fabric or the story!
I absolutely love the fabric!

wendy peatross said...

That is a beautiful blanket. And such a fun story too.

lindsey said...

Ladies--
She is telling the truth, and I DO still have lots of fabric left. In fact that story reminds me...Where is it??? That picture makes me crave making a baby blanket!

Mom---the blanket is beautiful!