Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mid-Week Inspiration...Mellow Yellow...

"They call me 'Mellow Yellow'...that's right...yeah! They call me 'Mellow Yellow'...that's right...yeah!" If you haven't heard those words before...ask your parents. They are words of old song from the 70's and introduces our mid-week inspiration topic...the color Yellow!



Yellow always has been and always will be one of my favorite colors. I love what yellow does to a room...making it instantly...happy...light-filled... youthful...fun...cozy. And even though I have loved the color yellow...like forever...I have never used it much in decorating...until this new home. Now I have yellow in nearly every room...I love it! During our long...dark...cold...winter I would walk into our home and feel instantly uplifted. Even today it is dark...overcast...and drizzling...and I am home feeling cozy and warm.

Over the years...I have torn out a gazillion pages from decorating magazines and have saved a huge pile of them for inspiration. I was amazed when I went to choose colors for this house and browsed through my pictures how many of them had yellow walls...and they all spoke to me and filled me with a sense of comfort...and coziness. So here is some inspiration in case you are needing a change at your house or just some eye-candy to brighten your day!


I love that this kitchen seems to have no windows...
but that the yellow on the walls makes the room so light filled and bright!


Even though this is a really strong yellow...I think it works because of all the white trim...woodwork...fireplace...and furniture...also it mixes so well with the bright blue upholstery!


The golden yellow used in this dining room fits perfectly with the more traditional furnishings and bling bling! I love the chandelier and can't wait to show you pictures
of the vintage chandelier I used in one of my bedrooms!


Even though the "fussiness" of this room is not my style...I love that the yellow walls just add to the room's coziness. Love the roses...the farmhouse table...that you can see bits and pieces of yellow in the built-in display shelves! This seems like the perfect place to eat a breakfast of pancakes...huckleberry syrup...and freshly squeezed orange juice!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

All this yellow talk makes me want to paint my walls yellow. I love your house and I wish I was still there. LOVE YOU!

Shelly B. said...

I love your yellow walls so much. It's PERFECT...warm and fresh and so pretty. Maybe I'll come enjoy them right now. Maybe I'll suggest we all take a nap. Ha ha! Love you!

Camille said...

I'm with Ashley- I've got to go get me some yellow paint!