Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Take May for a change...and a little Mid-Week Inspiration...

This just happens to be a picture of my youngest daughter Emily and our dog, Maddie taken many years ago when they were both really just starting out in life. They were pals for a lot of years. As a puppy Maddie wiggled her way onto Emily's bed and slept there nearly every night for a number of years. They would spend hours together...playing in the back yard...or the front yard where Maddie could be seen pulling Emily on her rollerblades or Emily taking Maddie for walks over to the Elementary School. When Emily was having a bad day...Maddie was great listener and good friend. They really grew up together...girl and dog...buddies. As Emily grew older and more mature and so did Maddie. Just not at the same rate.


Emily will be turning 21 in a few weeks...and in about 10 days she is getting married to the man of her dreams and moving on to new experiences and a new life with Nate. We are so happy for her. She is so happy for herself. She's in love...excited about the future...anticipating all the new adventures coming her way.

Maddie on the other hand is 84 years old in dog years. She has slowed down considerably in the last little while and has experienced a few health problems. Well, not really a few...but a lot of health problems. The latest being a pituitary tumor. We tried some medication...gave it about 5 months to be exact...but her problems just couldn't be resolved and then the problems from the tumor became more than we could deal with{As in very little bladder control}.

I was thinking today that it was really my husband who wanted to get a dog for the girls. I did NOT want an animal. When he brought home this adorable beagle puppy I just melted. I actually got out a baby blanket and wrapped her in it and held her. She was Em's buddy for a lot of years but as Emily got older she really became my buddy. We had an understanding. She was in charge and I was there to satisfy her ever whim. I did my job well.

This morning I did one of the hardest things I have ever done. I put our beloved Maddie in the back of my Explorer and took her to the vet's office. She did not come home with me.


9 comments:

Shelly B. said...

Who'd have thought that I could cry over that dumb dog! My kids will be so sad. You were brave, Mom.

Ashley said...

I haven't cried all day...not until I read that! She was our childhood dog and we grew up with her! You WERE brave mom! And it was the absolute right decision. Love you.

lindsey said...

I'm here crying as my 8th graders are completing a map of the Civil War. :( That was a beautiful tribute. To both Maddie and the power of pets. As smelly as they are. I'm really sad about the whole thing. It's weird that she won't be there when I come home next week.

But, you made the right decision. You really did. I'm proud of you for being so brave. I love you! :)

Hatch Family said...

Gosh it made me cry! I remember when you got her! That was a long time ago!

Katie said...

Marilyn, Oh soo sad. I remember when you got that dog too, Drue was in your preschool class and begged for a dog for christmas, did not get one and was sure when she returned to preschool after christmas that Santa had made a serious mistake!!! I think she even told you that that dog was supposed to be hers. Dogs are so good for kids, and moms too. From Kathy Heninger @katie's computer.

Laura B. said...

There is nothing harder than saying good-bye to a pet. Not when they are more than just the family dog.
So sorry!!!

Camille said...

I've never been much of an animal person, but this brought on the tears! I'm so sorry. What a lucky little dog- to live in such a great home and have such a wonderful family!

sandy said...

I feel for you and this brought tears to my eyes. I had a kitty named Tux who I loved and cried over her death for a week and I still miss her and the funny thing is I don't really like cats, but pets become part of the family.

Michelle said...

Hi Marilyn. It's Michelle (Carney) Weymouth. I saw this on Lindsey's blog and just had to comment. I don't really remember your dog but that picture is adorable. You described the scene of Emily outside with the dog so well that I literally pictured your house, that street and the school. Thanks for the memories. I have always loved and respected your family so much!