Friday, May 2, 2008

Money, Money, Money...

From what I have seen lately...voicing political opinions on a blog can be a tricky business. You just never know when your readership is going to turn on you like a mad dog! But...I figure that my readership is so small and those who are going to read the following are my husband, daughters and a few friends so it won't matter to them if I spout off somewhat.

Recently I was talking to one of our tenants (as in she rents a condo from us) and she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was voting for Barack Obama...that Hillary Clinton is a liar...and that George Bush has ruined the American economy. I respect her right to vote for whomever she chooses...I agree with her on the second point with utmost zeal...but the third point I had to challenge.

While I will agree the President Bush has been the biggest spender of the American taxpayer dollars since Ronald Ragean, I do not believe he has ruined the American economy. I believe Americans have ruined the American economy. Americans, for the most part, have been living the good life for far too long...taking for granted the prosperity we enjoy. We have indulged ourselves...we have and are living beyond our means...paying with credit for perishable goods and self indulgent purchases...buying homes and cars and boats and vacations we can't afford.

Then when we lose our homes and our self indulgent lifestyle...when it all goes to hell in a hand basket (as my father would say)...we have to blame someone. We don't want to take responsibility for our poor spending habits...our lack of financial planning...our inability to live a modest lifestyle. Yes, I do believe the President of this country has a responsibility to be prudent and frugal with our tax dollars...and no, I do not believe President Bush has been a fiscally responsible president. But...I think the bulk of the economic problems in this country lie with the taxpayers themselves.

In the next few months all Americans who filed a income tax return will receive a modest "economic stimulus" refund from the government. What are your plans for your refund? Recently I saw a reporter on a news show talking to people about their plans for their refund...almost all of them had already decided what they were going to spend it on. Here's a thought...how about saving it for a rainy day...because from where I sit it looks to be pouring out there!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Couln't have said it better myself. No really, I couldn't have! You have such a way with words and I agree with all you have written here!

Ashley said...

I AGREE SO much. And I am NOT offended! :)